(There is a special message at the end of this article for those who might happen to read this and do not have Jesus in their life and are looking for peace and a way to better understand the present-day insanity and confusion.)
Several years ago, I had a conversation with a guy in a waiting room while getting an oil change (in the car, not me).
I don’t recall exactly how the conversation originated or how it progressed, but I have never forgotten it. As I recall, it had something to do with evolution and an article that was contained in a “waiting room magazine” that was available there.
He made the observation that God was “something that man had made up.” I can’t recall the exact reason he used to justify his opinion, but it had something to do with the usual reasons people give: Weak-willed people needing a crutch, and blah, blah, blah.
I engaged him in a “witness,” that there is no empirical evidence to support evolution, and there was more evidence for creation by God than there was to support Darwin’s claim.
Rather than be confrontational, I pointed out the differences between man (love, writing, and speech) and animals and tried to get him thinking about those differences.
As so often happens under those circumstances, there were distractions and interruptions; time ran out, and we parted ways. When I looked around, I noticed two ladies sitting there as well, and they were both smiling. Who knows what the Spirit may have done after that moment? I could only hope. And pray.
I have often wondered about him and if the Spirit had been able to work with his spirit to bring about a change. I hope so, as he was so clearly deceived and lost.
There are multitudes of reasons, excuses, and justifications people use when they make this claim. Many of us have heard them or their variants over the years if we are actively witnessing out “in the world.”
Yesterday, the Spirit brought that conversation back to the front of my memory, coupled with the current state of the world and how the “leadership” of the WEF (World Economic Forum) has just recently announced that God is dead (where have we heard that before?) and that they are acquiring “divine” powers and the power to “create.”
I was reminded of the impossibility of man and the absurdity of him thinking he could “make up” God. It also occurs to me to wonder: What will be the source of these “divine” powers?
God Himself declares in Isaiah, as well as numerous other places in His Word, that He will NOT share His Glory with another.
That thought had occurred to me back when the conversation in the waiting room took place, but not with such clarity as it has now in this age of depravity, rampant humanism, and open and outright hatred of God and His Created Order.
Man has, over the long (to us) history of humankind, indeed “made up” many “gods.”
These “objects of worship/idols” share characteristics that many of us have heard of before, especially in recent years of increased “spirituality.”
Here is an abbreviated list that might bring these false deities to mind:
- A “god” that instills fear, punishment, anxiety, and, most terrifying, vaguely defined requirements that are only presented in general terms with no clear path to the adherent or what they specifically are and how to achieve them. This common, man-made “god” rules by way of constant threats of a capricious and vicious anger when “displeased.”
- A “god” that promises the adherent that they can achieve some sort of godhood or continued existence (better – IF you’re good enough, or worse, if you are Not), if they meet some vaguely defined standards of earthly conduct. Who defines those standards is most often mysterious and somewhat vague (in other words, they are human standards).
- There are, as stated, many more conditions, commands, threats, and promises that are part of man-made “religions” that are too numerous to list here.
In each case, there is a requirement for rituals and other outward actions in order to satisfy and satiate the capricious man-made “god”; however, there is no indication that this man-made “god” is, in fact, satisfied. So, the fear and uncertainty continue.
Why all these similarities to humans? It is because they mirror the capricious requirements of and actions of godless human rulers when they assume power. Human rulers may indicate that you are forgiven; however, can you really be certain?
Is every day not filled with a steady stream of lies and human deception? However:
“God is not human, that he should lie, not a human being, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?” (Numbers 23:19).
Now to the crux of this article.
It is the conspicuous absence of the characteristics of the True and Living God in these man-made mimicries that is the most convincing evidence of their falsehood.
Let’s examine this short but unique list of characteristics of the One True God that no fraudulent, human-created “god” would or could ever possess.
These are the characteristics that would never have occurred to man in a million billion years.
Why? Because every single one is grounded in Love. Real, purposeful, and genuine Love. Not love as man has come to define it, but as God does.
- Substitutionary Death: How can one comprehend this? God sent His Son, Jesus Christ, the sinless Son of the Living God, who willingly submitted to an undeserved death to pay the penalty for sinful man. This was planned before the creation of the world and at the time of God’s choosing, and it was fulfilled at the appointed time.
- Forgiveness: The genuine promise, always kept, of forgiveness for penitent hearts who confess sins and willingly receive Jesus Christ as their personal Savior.
- Grace: Undeserved favor and Mercy given by the God of Love to sinful man.
- Mercy: Withholding punishment for sin until the Savior would appear and pay the cost for all who would receive Him as Lord. And continuing to withhold judgment until the “appointed time,” when God WILL execute it.
- Restoration: Forgiveness of sins confessed to God and reinstatement of that repentant soul to their former status as Justified in God’s sight.
- Trustworthy Promises: These, once made, are always kept and never broken.
“As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us” (Psalm 103:12).
God’s promise of forgiveness to penitent, confessing sinners whether they be saved or unsaved, is not subject to question despite human uncertainty or doubt. It is a promise of God and is, therefore, Truth.
- Righteous Anger: Not capricious or petulant but regulated and executed in a measured and sober manner and after much warning and patience.
- Prophecy; the Signature of the One True God that only He can assign.
“Remember the former things of old, For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me, Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things that are not yet done, Saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, And I will do all My pleasure, Calling a bird of prey from the east, The man who executes My counsel, from a far country. Indeed, I have spoken it; I will also bring it to pass. I have purposed it; I will also do it (Isaiah 46:9-11).
And indeed, He has done it! The Word of God is abundant with prophetic declarations from Genesis to Revelation.
No man-created “holy writings” have ever even dared to “Declare the end from the beginning,” as has the Bible.
Neither do these man-made “gods” possess the power to bring them about.
What further proof would one need? Hundreds of them have been fulfilled up to this point in time, and every single one of them in minute detail.
The mathematical odds of this would be outside the realms of possibility except for the sovereignty and power of the One True God. El Shaddai – God Almighty.
“But as it is written: ‘Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man The things which God has prepared for those who love Him'” (1 Cor 2:9). Emphasis added by me.
The above verse applies to the wonders of God’s Eternal Kingdom, His plans for those who have received the blessing of eternal life through Jesus Christ’s redeeming sacrifice, and who have received Him as Savior and Lord. It is a promise made to all who will dwell with Him forever, as He has promised.
At the same time, I believe that the same condition of the earth-bound human’s inability to comprehend the wonders of God in the eternal construct lends proof to the claim that it is completely beyond human capability to even begin to imagine a “god” that could approach the actual Sovereign and Only God that has made Himself known to His creation through His Written Word, His creation, and most wonderful of all, His virgin- born and sinless Son, Jesus Christ.
So, if you should happen to be reading this and have not embraced the joy and peace of knowing the One True God through His Son – if you have placed your trust in a man-imagined “god” who is powerless to save or made yourself into your own “god” – if you have placed your eternal soul in any other place than Jesus Christ who is the Way, the Truth, and the Life as He promised – and if you still draw breath in this life, it is not too late. He does not turn anyone away who earnestly seeks Him.
I think that you know in your inmost being that you need something but perhaps are not sure what that something is.
That “something” is Someone, and that Someone is waiting for you to call to Him.
“Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me” (Revelation 3:20).
“Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me'” (John 14:6).
“Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” (John 8:32).
The special message I promised you:
For anyone who may read this article and has not trusted in Jesus Christ and therefore has no hope or peace in your life:
You can have hope. You can have the peace that Jesus has promised to all who have made Him their Lord and Savior. The peace that passes understanding.
It requires that you come before God on His terms.
And, what are His terms according to His Word?
- Genuine repentance (turning to God instead of continuing to reject or ignore Him).
- Confession of sins (that you are a sinner and acknowledge that to God).
- That you understand that the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23).
- To acknowledge to God that you are unable to pay that debt.
- Belief that Jesus Christ paid your death sentence for you on the cross.
- To believe that Jesus is the Way, the only Way, that God has established by which humans may be saved from the consequences of their sin and rebellion.
God has made it absolutely clear that there is no one who comes before Him, under His terms, that will be refused.
- No one: no race, no color, no country of origin, regardless of any previous belief system: no one.
- No matter what your past sins have been, God can and WILL forgive you because He says He will.
- Salvation is available to everyone without any exceptions.
If you put all your trust for salvation in Jesus, and Him only, you can follow that prayer up by simply saying, “Thank you, Father God, for hearing my prayer and saving me,” because we can trust Him to keep His Word. He always has. He always will.
“Truly, Truly, I say to you that he who hears My words and believes the One who sent Me has eternal life and will not be condemned. He has crossed from death to life (John 5:24).
There are no answers and there is no hope in the world by governments, organizations, politics, or politicians. There are only lies and deception. But you can have the Truth and the peace you seek.
The answers are in the Word of God—The Bible. If you ask God with all your heart, He will hear you.
“And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart” (Jeremiah 29:13).
Pro Salvator Vigilans
To contact me: email@example.com