(There is a special message at the end of this article for those who do not have Jesus in their life and are looking for peace and a way to better understand the present-day insanity and confusion.)
“But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased” (Daniel 12:4).
Probably one of the most maligned books of the Bible, it has been attacked over the centuries by atheists (so-called but…maybe not), unbelievers, etc., for the simple reason that its accuracy has been nothing short of astounding.
For the unbelieving, no matter which descriptor applies, the book of Daniel is so accurate, and its truths are so visible that they know in their inmost being that if they acknowledge its credibility, at the same time, they are also placing themselves under subjection to its ultimate author: The Sovereign God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; El Shaddai, God Almighty.
They are already under subjection to Him just as they are under the consequences of gravity. The acknowledgment of that to themselves, though, would confirm the reality of that subjection; thus, they resist doing so.
For the Christ-loving, following, and honoring, it is simply additional proof of the Sovereign God who is, in fact, who He says He is.
Is it really that simple?
I believe that – just like most of the rest of God’s Word – It really is that simple.
“For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints” (1 Corinthians 14:33).
The below is taken from a commentary written by Joseph Benson many years ago.
“And knowledge shall be increased — By these means great light shall be thrown on every part of divine revelation, and especially on the parts that are prophetic: the more the predictions are accomplished, the better will they be understood; and future ages will receive more instruction and edification from them than we do. The words have an especial reference to gospel days; and the expression of running to and fro, doubtless points to the journeys, voyages, and labours of gospel ministers, whether apostles, evangelists, pastors, or teachers, who should traverse sea and land, and travel from place to place, from country to country, to spread the knowledge of divine truth, and testify the gospel of the grace of God.” Taken from Benson Commentary (Publishers: G. Lane and C. B. Tippett; Carlton & Phillips,1846–1854)
When we stop to consider the concept of “running to and fro” in our time, we have to consider that people today are mostly running between their coffee pot and their computer (and in my case, the bathroom!), and in that light, knowledge and information are literally seconds away both from being read (or watched) and understood, and being written (or videos made) and disbursed worldwide in seconds via the internet.
I’ve no doubt that when the Holy Spirit of God inspired the writing of this book, it was with full understanding that the year 2022 would arrive, and this technology would enable many millions of people to access the amazing revelations of Daniel as well as the entire balance of God’s Word… if they are of a mind to.
This modern-day reality, coupled with the abundance of literally fulfilled prophecies that have occurred in the intervening centuries, lends all the credibility necessary to understand that the balance of prophecies in the book of Daniel (as well as each and every other prophecy throughout the entire Word of God) will likewise be fulfilled.
That is a very sobering Truth for both believers and unbelievers.
- For the believer (who is paying attention to the “signs of the times), the urgency to witness is becoming more apparent. The clock is running down on the Age of Grace, and figuratively, we can now see the hands moving. The convergence of so many signs and actual events on an almost daily basis is very evident.
- For the believer (who is NOT paying attention to the “signs of the times); Wake up! Pay attention! Jesus admonished the Pharisees and Sadducees for this very thing. We have the advantage of the entire Word of God and history proclaiming the lateness of the hour! Overcome your fear and be a servant of God. Strive to hear the Lord Jesus say, “Well done my good and faithful servant.” Remember the servant of Matthew 25:18 and don’t bury your talent. Dig it up if you have buried it and get to work. My brothers and sisters, in all love and compassion, I urge you to reread Matthew 25:14-30 and take it to hear
- For the unbeliever (who is paying attention to “the signs of the times”) and is finding news sources where truthful news can still be accessed: I pray you will be one who will heed the call of God and respond to them in the only meaningful and life-giving way. (Please see the special message at the end of this article.)
“The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9)
It must be said here, however: The Lord will bring His entire Word to fulfillment, and there is a termination to this Age of Grace. The many signs that God, in His Grace, has provided are all quite literally converging.
- For the unbeliever (who is not paying attention or just refuses to listen), there are numerous verses that apply to the inevitable judgments that God must execute on a world that has become permeated with sin, rebellion, and vulgarity at every turn. Outright hatred of the God who has provided them with breath and life and, even more important: TIME to turn back from these things has an inevitable result if they continue to reject and ignore His Mercy.
“The pride of man will be humbled And the loftiness of men will be abased; And the LORD alone will be exalted in that day, But the idols will completely vanish. Men will go into caves of the rocks And into holes of the ground Before the terror of the LORD And the splendor of His majesty, When He arises to shake the earth. In that day men will cast away to the moles and the bats Their idols of silver and their idols of gold, Which they made for themselves to worship, In order to go into the caverns of the rocks and the clefts of the cliffs, Before the terror of the LORD and the splendor of His majesty, When He arises to shake the earth” (Isaiah 2:17-21).
Now for the crux of this article.
While the emergence of the increase in knowledge and the clarity of future prophecy spoken of by Daniel 12:4 is the primary point of this article, I emphasize that the amazing accuracy of the prophecies that have previously been fulfilled that are contained within this book have been confirmed by the historical record. Neither have all the prophecies that were revealed to Daniel been completed. But they will be.
By no means is this accuracy and clarity limited to that book and chapter alone.
The Bible, the Word of God, has had its veracity and power confirmed by fulfilled future prophecy time and time again. Only the God of the Bible can and has done this, and it is His signature on all creation.
“Speak up and present your case–yes, let them take counsel together. Who foretold this long ago? Who announced it from ancient times? Was it not I, the LORD? There is no other God but Me, a righteous God and Savior; there is none but Me” (Isaiah 45:21).
“Remember the former things long past, For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is no one like Me, Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things which have not been done, Saying, ‘My purpose will be established, And I will accomplish all My good pleasure'” (Isaiah 46:9-10).
At that time, and because of the vision he had been shown, Daniel was troubled and asked the Lord for answers. It was not yet time for that, and so he was told.
“Although I heard, I did not understand. Then I said, ‘My lord, what shall be the end of these things?’ And he said, ‘Go your way, Daniel, for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end. Many shall be purified, made white, and refined, but the wicked shall do wickedly; and none of the wicked shall understand, but the wise shall understand'” (Daniel 12:8-9).
There are numerous prophecies relative to the Lord Jesus alone, most of which have been literally fulfilled up to this present time. The odds of 8 being literally fulfilled in one person is 1 in 10/17th power (that is one in 10 with 17 zeros added to the end) – a number beyond reckoning to my finite mind. Jesus has fulfilled many more than 8.
There are many more left to be fulfilled, however, and these will be fulfilled in a very short span of time as God executes His final, promised judgments on a world in full rebellion against Him.
He has cautioned and warned and pleaded for almost 2,000 years, even to the point of sacrificing Himself on a Roman cross to pay the debt for us, and yet, the rebellion and depravity just continue to increase.
What more can He do than what He has already done?
For anyone who may read this article and has not trusted in Jesus Christ and therefore has no hope or peace in your life:
You can have hope. You can have the peace that Jesus has promised to all who have made Him their Lord and Savior. It requires that you come before God on His terms.
And, what are His terms according to His Word?
- Genuine repentance (turning to God instead of continuing to reject or ignore Him).
- Confession of sins (that you are a sinner and acknowledge that to God).
- That you understand that the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23).
- To acknowledge to God that you are unable to pay that debt.
- Belief that Jesus Christ paid your death sentence for you on the cross.
- To believe that Jesus is the Way, the only Way, that God has established by which humans may be saved from the consequences of their sin and rebellion.
God has made it absolutely clear that there is no one who comes before Him, under His terms, that will be refused.
- No one: no race, no color, no country of origin, regardless of any previous belief system: no one.
- No matter what your past sins have been, God can and WILL forgive you because He says He will.
- Salvation is available to everyone without any exceptions.
If you put all your trust for salvation in Jesus, and Him only, you can follow that prayer up by simply saying, “Thank you, Father God, for hearing my prayer and saving me,” because we can trust Him to keep His Word. He always has. He always will.
John 5:24: “Truly, Truly, I say to you that he who hears My words and believes the One who sent Me has eternal life and will not be condemned. He has crossed from death to life.”
There are no answers and there is no hope in the world by governments, organizations, politics, or politicians. There are only lies and deception. But you can have the Truth and the peace you seek.
The answers are in the Word of God—The Bible. If you ask God with all your heart, He will hear you.
“And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart” (Jeremiah 29:13).
Pro Salvator Vigilans
To contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org