Through the advancements of medicine and science people have been healed. But even Man’s greatest “medical miracles” cannot heal man’s greatest disease of sin and its consequences. Spiritual sickness is evident in the attacks made on human life. People are choosing to take the lives of unborn children, ending the lives of newborn handicapped children, shortening the lives of the bedridden elderly and taking their own lives in a fit of hopelessness.
Spiritual Medicine for the Spiritually Ailing
Spiritual ailing always leads to death.
The Symptoms of Spiritual Ailing
- Apathy (Rev. 3:15).
- Misplaced priorities (Rev. 3:17).
- Ignorance of what is important (Rev. 3:18a).
- Spiritual blindness (Rev. 3:18b).
Its Manifestations in the World
- Abortion (killing of unborn life).
- Infanticide (killing of newly born life) .
- Suicide (taking one’s own life) .
- Euthanasia (taking another’s life as act of mercy).
Its Manifestations in Our Lives
- Apathetic to the plight of the endangered (Ezek. 16:49; 2 Tim. 3:2).
- Other priorities (Psalm 119:36; Gal. 5:19-21; Phil. 2:3; James 3:16).
- Ignorance to sin (Is. 45:20; Rom. 7:7; 1 Col; 15:34, 2 Pet. 3:15-16; 1 John 1:6).
The Horrible Results
- Spit out by God (Deut. 31:16-17; Josh 24:20; Judges 10:13).
- Death in this world (Rom. 5:12; 6:23a) .
- Death eternally (Matt. 25:41).
It is easy for us to talk about all the problems of the world and how horrible people can be. But you don’t have to look long at the sins of the world to see the sins of your own life. And as the sin- sick world will face judgment for their crimes, so must we. Except, there is healing.
Spiritual Medicine Leads to Life
Medicine that rescues the lost:
- Bringing spiritual wealth (Rev. 3:18a)
- Bringing righteous garments (Rev. 3:18b)
- Bringing an end to darkness (Rev. 3:18c)
Medicine in Jesus Christ:
- He became sin for us (2 Cor. 5:21)
- Taught us the value of human life (John 10:10;13:15; Phil. 2:5ff; 1 Peter 2:21)
- By the message of his word
- By the example of his own life
- Restores the lost.
Rejoice in Your Healing
- Measure wealth in spiritual gold (Prov. 27:24; Mark 8:35-37; Eph. 1:7).
- Put on the righteous garments earned by Christ (Rev. 7:13ff).
- Reflecting his values.
- Reflecting his love.
- Live in the light (Ps 119:105, Eph. 5:8-11.
- Avoid the darkness of sin.
- Nurture in the light of God’s Word
Share the Antidote
- Reflect God’s high value for life in your own life (Matt. 5:14-15; 1 Tim. 4:12).
- Support efforts to protect life (Prov. 31:8).
- Sacrificially love the spiritually ailing (Eph. 5:1-2; 2 Tim. 1:7-8)
While many diseases lead to death, none of them are as eternally fatal as the spiritual disease of sin. As we see the spiritual disease manifest itself in the attacks made on life today, we have an opportunity. You have the antidote which has cured you and me of our hell bound, sin-sick state.
For Christ, providing the antidote cost him his life. But for us it is the free gift of God, to cherish and to share. Clearly understand the consequences of sin both temporally and eternally and warn others of them. And share your faith so that those who are spiritually ailing might have the spiritual medicine that protects life today and saves life forever.