The Bible reveals that in the last days, a trinity of evil will arise. This satanic trinity will consist of the dragon (Satan), the first beast (Antichrist), and the second beast (the False Prophet). The two beasts will work in collusion on earth, under the approval and authority of Satan, to deceive and destroy mankind.
During their reign, they will bring death, destruction, and torment upon the inhabitants of the world. The False Prophet will come with dual authority, both religious and political. His purpose is to claim Antichrist to be God, to be his witness, as well as head a one world religion and economy. He will claim that he is here to help Antichrist establish peace, prosperity, and his kingdom on earth.
“And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon. And he exerciseth all the power of the first beast before him, and causeth the earth and them which dwell therein to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed. And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men, And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by the means of those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live. And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed. And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name. Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.” Revelation 13:11-18.
As previously mentioned, we call this second beast the False Prophet. The fact that he comes out of the Earth means that he’s an ordinary man, likely a Jew. His two horns mean that he has the authority of a witness, testifying to the power of his senior partner, Antichrist, just as John the Baptist testified about Jesus. He sounds a lot like the Gentle Jesus of liberal denominations, and performs miracles like Elijah’s, but his words originate in Satan’s heart.
He heads up one world religion, and makes certain that it’s united in its worship of the Antichrist. Building a great image of him, he uses supernatural power from the devil to give it a semblance of life and makes everyone worship it on pain of death. Because no one can tell if another person is really worshiping or just going through the motions, he devises a test. If you’re loyal to Antichrist and truly worship him, you must agree to take a mark to prove it. It will not only demonstrate your sincerity, but allow you to participate fully in mainstream life without fear. Refusing it means you’re one of those who has given your heart to Jesus. If you’re caught, the penalty for that is death. And even if you’re not, you’ll face a nearly impossible challenge in just staying alive.”
That mark will be 666 and will be displayed on the right hand or forehead of those who receive it.
However, the power of Antichrist and the False Prophet will be short lived. The Bible reveals the ultimate destiny of Antichrist and his side-kick. They will be defeated by Jesus Christ, and spend eternity in the Lake of Fire.
“And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.” Revelation 19:20.
SUMMARY CHARACTERISTICS OF THE FALSE PROPHET
- This individual is evidently a Jew, since he arises out of the earth, or land, that is Palestine (Revelation 13:11).
- He is influential in religious affairs (“two horns like a lamb” Revelation 13:11)
- He is motivated by Satan as is the first beast (Revelation 13:11)
- He has a delegated authority (“the power of the first beast” Revelation 13:12)
- He promotes the worship of the first beast and compels the earth to worship him as God (Revelation 13:12)
- His ministry is authenticated by the signs and miracles which he does, evidently proving that he is the Elijah that was to come (Revelation 13:13-14)
- He is successful in deceiving the unbelieving world (Revelation 13:14)
- The worship promoted is an idolatrous worship (Revelation 13:14-15)
- He has the power of death to compel men to worship the beast (Revelation 13:15)
- He has authority in the economic realm to control all commerce (Revelation 13:16-17)
- He has a mark that will establish his identity for those who live in that day (Revelation 13:18)