26 May 2017

78% of Israelis say peace not possible, split if PM serious to make deal
Some 78% of Israelis believe there is no chance of reaching a peace agreement with the Palestinians, despite the efforts of US President Donald Trump, according to a Panels Research poll taken for Maariv on Wednesday and released on Thursday. Only 18% believe it is possible to reach such an agreement, while 4% do not know, according to the poll of 542 Israeli adults who constitute a statistical sample of the population with a margin of error of 4.3%.

Israel’s eyes in the sky gather intel in a shifting Middle East
The Air Force’s reconnaissance aircraft have been flying more intelligence missions in light of rising threats along Israel’s borders and the continuing wave of Palestinian violence in the West Bank. The small and unassuming Sde Dov Airport is tucked between the city’s Tel Aviv Port and the Ramat Aviv neighborhood, taking civilians away on vacation. But the hybrid civilian/military airport is also where the air force’s First Squadron planes is based, and took off to fly at least 6,000 hours in 2016 alone.

Egypt Coptic Christians killed in bus attack
At least 23 people have been killed and 25 wounded after gunmen opened fire on a bus carrying Coptic Christians in central Egypt, state media report. The incident occurred in Minya province, 250km (155 miles) south of Cairo, as the bus headed to a church. There have been a number of attacks on Copts in recent months claimed by Islamic State (IS) militants.

G7 leaders gather for ‘robust’ talks in Sicily
US President Donald Trump is attending a G7 summit with leaders of the world’s major economies in Sicily, Italy, on the last leg of his first foreign trip. A tough debate is expected on issues including trade and climate change. The G7 consists of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the UK and the US. The EU also has representatives.

Brazil protests: Temer revokes decree deploying troops in Brasilia
Brazilian President Michel Temer has revoked a decree that deployed troops in the capital, Brasilia, to defend government buildings against protests. The decree was made on Wednesday when the government said police could not contain anti-government demonstrations. However, the move was strongly criticised by city authorities and the opposition.

Libya: breeding and training ground for jihadists
Feeding on the chaos that has gripped Libya since the overthrow and killing of longtime dictator Moamer Kadhafi in 2011, jihadists have used the country to recruit and export militants. Salman Abedi, the man suspected of carrying out the attack on a pop concert in Manchester that killed 22 people and wounded dozens, was born in Britain but visited Libya before the bombing that was claimed by the Islamic State group.

Declassified memos show FBI illegally shared spy data on Americans with private parties
The FBI has illegally shared raw intelligence about Americans with unauthorized third parties and violated other constitutional privacy protections, according to newly declassified government documents that undercut the bureau’s public assurances about how carefully it handles warrantless spy data to avoid abuses or leaks.

Mark Zuckerberg joins Silicon Valley bigwigs in calling for government to give everybody free money
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg called on the need to consider universal basic income for Americans during his Harvard Commencement Speech. Zuckerberg’s comments reflect those of other Silicon Valley bigwigs, including Sam Altman, the president of venture capital firm Y Combinator. “Every generation expands its definition of equality. Now it’s time for our generation to define a new social contract,” Zuckerberg said during his speech.

Sri Lanka landslides, floods kill at least 25; dozens missing
Floods and landslides in Sri Lanka have killed at least 25 people while dozens are missing after torrential rain, officials said on Friday, as soldiers fanned out in boats and in helicopters to help with rescue operations. The early rainy season downpours have forced hundreds of people from their homes across the Indian Ocean island. “There are at least five landslides reported in several places in Kaluthara,” said police spokesman Priyantha Jayakody, referring to the worst-hit district on the island’s west coast.

Planned Parenthood executives joke about decapitating fetuses in new video
Planned Parenthood executives joked about decapitated fetuses, admitted to altering abortion procedures to preserve fetal organs and said clinics have a financial incentive to sell human tissue in a new undercover video released Thursday.

Patriots to sponsor LGBT ‘Gay Bowl’
…The stick to sports crowd usually targets players or media personalities. Now they may have to say it to an entire organization. This weekend the Patriots announced they will sponsor the 2017 Gay Bowl, which is a national championship flag football built with teams from the LGBT community.

Twitter Suspends WND For Seth Rich Story
“We have determined that you have violated the Twitter Rules, so we’ve temporarily limited some of your account features.  While in this state, you can still browse Twitter, but you’re limited to only sending Direct Messages to your followers – no Tweets, Retweets, or likes.”

US On Track To Kill More Syrian Civilians Than Russia For 5th Straight Month
Coalition-led airstrikes in Syria killed a total of 225 civilians between April 23 and May 23, the highest 30-day death toll for U.S.-led forces since the campaign began, Agence France-Presse reported. That’s nearly double the number of intended targets…

Trump Travel Ban Blocked; Fight Headed For Supreme Court
President Donald Trump’s revised travel ban “speaks with vague words of national security, but in context drips with religious intolerance, animus and discrimination,” a federal appeals court said Thursday in ruling against the executive order targeting six Muslim-majority countries.

Jared Kushner “Under FBI Scrutiny” In Russia Probe: NBC
“Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law and one of his senior advisers, has come under FBI scrutiny in the Russia investigation, multiple U.S. officials told NBC News.”

Trump talks terrorism while Europe shouts ‘Climate!’
While terrorism may top President Donald Trump’s agenda, European leaders keep pressing him on climate change and the environment. French President Emmanuel Macron worked on Trump during lunch Thursday, urging the U.S. president not to ditch the 196-nation Paris Agreement on climate change before getting on a plane to Sicily, Italy.

Charlie Daniels’ Open Letter to Chuck Schumer: You’ve Opened Pandora’s Box
Sen. Schumer, I don’t live in your constituency, but in the larger picture, you live in mine and every other legal, taxpaying American citizen who is affected by the power you hold in your political party, your blind allegiance to it and the obstructionist posture to anything that doesn’t directly benefit it.

Trump Pledges That Leakers Will Be ‘Prosecuted To The Fullest Extent Of The Law’
Donald Trump pledged that those in his administration who are leaking sensitive information will be “prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.” In a statement Thursday, the president said he has asked the Department of Justice to launch “a complete review” into leaks, which he finds “deeply troubling” because they pose “a grave threat” to national security.

The Syrian Airfield The US Hit Is Back In Business
In the past week, the Syrians began returning Su-22 and MiG-23 fighter jets back to Shayrat airfield, which the US military attacked on April 6 with 59 Tomahawk missiles. The aircraft returning to Shayrat had been distributed throughout regime-controlled portions of the country, defense officials